Thursday, February 19, 2015

ahh, yarn fumes

I needed a break after a long day of programming and going no where, so I poured my sock yarn bin out onto the bed to play with.

Let's be clear, though. That's not all my fingering weight yarn--that's just the stuff I've designated for socks. There are 27 pairs of socks a-waiting for me to get around knitting them, at least. I also moved three skeins into the too-pretty-to-be-socks-so-must-be-a-shawl bin, and another two into the I-need-to-make-cowls-because-I-wear-them bag.  Also there are five pairs of socks worth of yarn in the car (which is under some snow right now; I didn't feel like digging them out) that I haven't brought in, and also three pairs on the needles.

I didn't dump out the shawl bin, but I did reorganize it by color and then picked out all the heavier weight yarns. I have been splurging on dk or heavier this year as my stash was pretty deficient in these weights, but after a year of fun shopping this is no longer the case. I have just about as much shawl yarn as the heavy stuff now! this is good news, I think, though not everything has a project dedicated for it yet. I do plan on making some more cowls, hats, and mitts or mittens for myself though. I'm a big accessory fan.

For the holidays I was gifted nearly a sweater's quantity of yarn--Madelinetosh Tosh DK to be specific, in the glorious Magnolia Leaf colorway. I need two more skeins to have a proper sweatery amount so I will eventually be ordering those--but I'm going to wait until after May. I have plenty of things on the needles, I don't need to buynowbuynoweee


Speaking of things on the needles, I've lined up two new projects for when I feel free/restless enough to cast something on. The first is another Hitchhiker shawl, or similar--this simple pattern looks pretty good with variegated yarns, and this yarn has cashmere and is highly variegated, so a shawl/scarf would be great for it. A friend of mine has happily commissioned a slouchy hipster hat, and he's picked out one of my skeins of brown, so that's waiting around for me to work on as well. Maybe I'll make a Barley hat, or maybe just a plain stockinette hat with a ribbed brim. We shall see. I like knitting hats but I don't wear them too often, so I'm glad he was interested in buying one off of me.

Meanwhile, I drew another sock yarn from the sock yarn bin (before I tossed it around like a salad, above) and it's two skeins of some long-color-repeat paton's kroy that's designated for my twin, so I guess I have another pair of twin socks back on the needles. Just what I need if I ever want to catch up... our birthday is soon and that just means another pair of socks to knit to reach the goal of one-for-every-year-we've-had.

what's that? what about all the work stuff? it's still there. I'm keeping it together and making progress, but no finished papers/publications yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment