Wednesday, September 16, 2015

AUTUMN IS COMING

Fingers crossed of course, but lately the mornings and evenings are nice enough to have the windows open, and the shade is pretty pleasant.

I've been enjoying my tomatoes as I pick them, one at a time, and eat them right off the two plants. They are doing pretty well but I can tell they would like to grow a lot taller. I will not repot them--they are already taking over the porch. They are enjoying the rain from the weekend.

My potatoes are ready to be dug up, and I'm excited because this means soon I will have tasty little oven roasted potatoes :) It is almost soup season, too, so roasted veggie soup is coming up. The weather is still hot and humid during most of the day, so it's just a little hint that those things might be coming soon, but it's nice to have a reminder.

I have my first draft of job application stuff completed, and am editing/working on improving it before the first applications are due (end of Sept). Meanwhile, I am also ankle deep in programming. Kind of fun, though.

I finally got oil for the spinning wheel and spent last night happily spinning my Loop Bullseye Bump


Isn't it pretty? It's got flecks of copper and green sparkle (angelina) in it as well. It's mostly merino, so it's slick, but it's spinning up nice and fine. I am aiming for a fingering/sport weight 2ply, and for the second ply I picked up some chocolate-colored corriedale when I went to Stony Mountain Fibers yesterday for the oil. It's a bit springier than merino but it should work well as the second ply and I can't wait to see what sort of yardage I end up getting! This is the last thing in my Spin the Bin 2015 challenge box as well, so when I finish this I'll have met my year's goal.

There's one more thing I want to spin, though, and that's a 3 ply sock weight. I have 8oz of lilac colored corriedale from Highland Handmades and 4oz of a blue-lavender BFL/silk blend from Frabjous Fibers and I think they'll go well together. 

Knitting continues apace, but there really isn't enough time in the day. I have some plans for a beautiful geometric lace shawl, but I don't know if I will get a chance to start it before the end of the year, much less finish it. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment