Wednesday, May 10, 2017

What's Up Wednesday

Reading:
I started (again) The Shadow of the Wind. We'll see if it catches me this time. I also still have Blood and Iron by Elizabeth Bear half read, and I did a few chapters of Garth Nix's Ragwitch. I also have an inch tall stack of papers I want to go through.

Working:
Still making graphs for the short paper. Meanwhile, I got surprise!telescope time so I've put some decent time into preparing for that and I get to screw up my schedule by observing at 8pm  and 1am for several consecutive days. ah, well, a learning experience. Then I need to reduce that data, as well as the data from the observations in fall, but only after finishing the data for the shortpaper. and then I need to get back into the data from the lirgpaper and the data from the clusteringpaper. AAAGH DATA EVERYWHERE. Wait, that's a good thing, I suppose.

Spinning: I finished 2/3 of the first 4oz braid for my falkland combo spin (where I ply together two different colorways). changed my mind, I no longer want a three ply. Instead I'll do a 2ply, 1 ply all the first braid, 1 ply all the second, and see how nicely they play. It won't be as round/bouncy but it'll also be thinner, and there'll be more yardage.

Knitting: I cast on a hat, too. so much for plans. *shakes head*. Next week I am travelling again so I need some good travel knitting. I think I will definitely take the Ashburn that's in progress; before I leave I'll probably be all the way through the second section and into the third section. And I finished knitting the baby sweater but I have no good understanding of sizing so I should probably bring the needles and yarn with in case it needs adjustment, even though I have absolutely zero desire to work on it any more. My instinct says that that is a bad project and therefore doesn't count, so I need another second project (ie, a third project). Maybe I'll get some sock yarn and 1.5s and start a new pair of twinsocks in slightly looser stretchier fabric (the newer stiffer fabric is less forgiving and I don't know how necessary it is). That's not a bad idea.

Also I started a tunic (the Myliu Lino) and had to rip it out because sizing and gauge and messing up the math. redid the math, recast it on, still screwed up (this time in terms of inches instead of stitches, thus proving that while I can learn from my mistakes, that doesn't prevent further mistakes), and I need to rip it out and recast it on again cuz it's my big summer project. except I'm still mad at it, of course.

Other things:
politics are fucked up, my brain is fucked up, my sleep schedule is fucked up, and the house is a fucking mess. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment