Wednesday, March 28, 2012

WIPpedy doo dah, wippedy day...

On the topic of WIPs, almost all of my current WIPs are gift WIPs. I just need to weave in the ends, knit a loop for a button or two, and add buttons to my aunt's gloves (and block them too, I suppose, but I'd almost rather not--what if the sizing changes dramatically? I didn't swatch, not with this yarn):





The real color of these gloves is somewhere between these two--quite peachy. It's a pleasant enough color and the yarn was a cotton-tencel blend that had a lovely sheen--but I won't tell you its name and it won't be featured here because it was so splitty it made me want to tear my hair out as I knit it.

I have a sneaky blanket I am working on for a friend across the waves--this involve sewing a bunch of squares together. It's 75% done, and I really need to step up and finish it--maybe this weekend. Girl needs some love, and people are counting on me. Also I have to figure out if it needs a knitted border or not. I don't have much in the appropriate color in stash so it will probably be borderless. Or maybe something small and simple--attached garter border, only a few stitches wide, perhaps? No pics of this one as it is a secret.

Another friend, more local, is getting a collection of fat purply Owl Puffs for her kiddo, who is going through some tough times. I'm almost done with these--they only take, oh, half an hour to knit, tops, but then an additional half hour for piecing together the eyeballs and sewing them and the beak on. I should make a few more of these for the Twin as well, she seemed to like them.



aren't they freakin adorable?


Look at the squashy belly on this guy. Love it. These are a ridiculously simple pattern off of Ravelry; bonus as it is free. I love a good free pattern.

I finished my LSG swap and mailed it off last week, so that is out of the way, BUT I still have two Knit It Forward 2011 objects to send off. (Yes, I know it's 2012. Haven't we learned by now that I'm dreadfully disorganize?). One of the things is 95% knitted; I stalled at making the final touches because it needs to be felted; but I am thinking perhaps it can be sent off without felting. It's pretty cute as it is, and I think it would look okay when stuffed and sewn up. The other thing has not yet been started because I'm trying to come up with a good idea for it, but with a little luck I'll pick out a nice wristwarmer pattern that will work with the one ball of yarn I have.

I've a couple of baby knits on my radar--hats for my co-worker's wife, who likes vegetables and especially pumpkin--and a baby surprise jacket for the other co-worker's wife who is a good friend of mine. I might make another baby surprise jacket if I like the pattern--it looks really neat and I have a fair bit of yarn.

Finally, I'm still working on socks that are designated for other people, and a blanket that's intended for my brother this coming (or past, whatever) holiday season.

Now, I'm not 100% selfless in my knitting of late. I do have two shawls on the needles for myself. One is my tiny green leaves Haruni, still. I made fantastic progress, hit the halfway point, and started Chart B; I even got 7 rows through Chart B while watching Law and Order SVU this past weekend. BUT I screwed up! I dropped a stitch. No life lines, of course, and it didn't ruin the whole shawl as it sank into one of the yarn overs from the beginning of Chart B (thank BOB) but I couldn't fix it. I mean, I could sort of fix it--I could get the right number of stitches back on the needle, and even have them be the right sort of stitches--YO or knits, depending. Of course I dropped another 6 trying to fix it (on purpose--they all stem from one initial YO--nothing to fear). So, it's irreparable, and I've been tinking back, one agonizingly tiny lace stitch at a time. I daren't rip--far too much hassle--but tinking back k3tog and k2tog is NOT easy. So this shawl is hibernating.

The other shawl is a plain triangle in a lovely yarn, and I poke at it when I'm at work taking a break or somesuch. No big deal, it is at 50% at least--in terms of yarn, anyway.

What's on your needles? who is it for? I've noticed in my podcasts and video podcasts, people do a lot of charity knitting. I'm not much for charity knitting. If I knit a gift for a person, mostly I want to do it for someone I know and care about. Probably because I'm so easily distracted and able to forget about things (see notes on Knit It Forward 2011, eh?) a lot easier when I don't see that person every day. I only knit what I like, too, which is not always compatible with charity knitting.

A few new things have popped up--I'm doing a couple of KALs in April. There's a pair of socks for the April Kal for the Knitting in Circles podcast, and, I think, a generic mitt-along for the Hippie Penguin podcast. LSG is having an Afternoon Tea Shawl-along (from Spring 2012 Knitty) which I'd like to participate in--I just need a good yarn for it. So maybe a few more me-based things will hit the needles in a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment